17. 10. 2008.

There's no love song finer

I did the strangest thing today. Well, strange is perhaps not the right word, rather, out of the ordinary. See, today I sat down and played the piano. That's something I haven't done since I don't know when. I've been using the piano lately just to play a chord so I know which key to sing in. But hubby took our big boy to his therapeutic art classes and I asked him to take the rest of the gang with him so I could have an hour or two of peace and quiet. So I sang for about an hour. And when I finished, I thought, gees, I haven't played the ebony and ivory in a while. So I sat down and started tinkling a bit. Then I took out my favourite music books from uni, "The Thirties" and "The Forties" and started playing a bit of Gershwin, Rodgers & Hart and then Cole Porter. And then I played it (rather badly, mind you), one of my favourite Cole Porter songs ever. "Every time we say goodbye".

What a great friggin' song, man. It was written by Porter in 1946 and hasn't lost any of its charm since, as have none of the other songs from that era and before. From Ella Fitzgerald to Ray Charles to Annie Lennox to (I found out today) Robbie Williams, it seems that everyone has their version of the song. And I've gotta admit, I'd like to do a version of it too with my Julie Andrews-ish voice. But I would do it with what I like to call the "recitative" at the beginning which it seems no one does. This is how it goes with the recitative at the beginning:
We love each other so deeply
That I ask you this, sweetheart
Why should we quarrel ever
Why can't we be enough clever, never to part


Ev'ry time we say goodbye
I die a little
Ev'ry time we say goodbye
I wonder why a little
Why the gods above me
Who must be in the know
Think so little of me
They allow you to go
When you're near there's such an air
Of spring about it
I can hear the larks somewhere
Begin to sing about it
There's no love song finer
But how strange the change from major to minor
Ev'ry time we say goodbye


And the song rings so true. Don't we all die a little when we say goodbye to someone we love? Don't we ask the Gods, but why, why does it have to be so? I can tell ya, I do. But maybe that's just me being the soppy romantic I am...

Personally, my absolute favourite part of the song is when Porter literally goes from a major to minor key in the words "There's no love song finer, but how strange the change from major to minor, every time we say goodbye". He's doing a bit of a Gerswhin here, but it's nonetheless an absolutely, bloody brilliant little musical twist.

And here's my favourite version of the song sung by someone I consider to be the absolute best pop singer of the mid-eighties, one of the few female singers of the era who had some grey matter between her ears - Annie Lennox. Enjoy!

4 komentara:

redgrevillea kaže...

Spunky Suzanne definitely had (and still has) some gray matter!! ;) umm, Vega, that is ;)

Good to see you get on the raycharles machine, the boogaloo, the chopin-meister, the one and only pianoforte (albeit a roland electronic one mind you! ;))

Yes that is a great song. I'm not crazy about all of Porter's music but he did have genuine talent and his best songs, such as this one, really grab the mind and heart all at once, with sharp love aches hitting the stomach.

Great post Mary. I love your enthusiasm for music, r.

The Knitting Songbird kaže...

Aaah, Suzanne, love Suzanne. My fave song of hers is one of her first, "Marlene on the wall". The music and lyrics are a killa

Marlene watches from the wall
Her mocking smile says it all
As she records the rise and fall
Of every soldier passing

But the only soldier now is me
I'm fighting things I cannot see
I think it's called my destiny
That I am changing

Or what about the ultimate foodie song, "Caramel"...I just adore how she compares her compelling need to eat caramel to her even more compelling longing for love...wonderful...

Yeah, Porter isn't my absolute favourite composer of the era. Although I really do love him, I prefer Gershwin. Can't say exactly why, I guess his music is more "lush". It sometimes even sounds Chopin-esque in its quality especially with all the arpeggios...

But that'll have to be another post ;)

JuanRa Diablo kaže...

It's impossible to guess the wonder of the moment. Why don't you record the song and publish it in this blog for all of us? Come on. I'm sure we'll enjoy it.

The Knitting Songbird kaže...

I'm not sure if anyone would enjoy my Julie Andrews-esque voice, but as they say in French, on verra or we'll see...

Thanks for the vote of confidence in any case, diablo!