21. 01. 2009.

Undercover

I have a confession to make. Don't worry, nothing too shocking or dramatic, at least I don't think it is. And it's within the bounds of normalcy and morality, as far as I know. But then again, it's not something that I mention over tea and biscuits when I have someone over. See, I love sleeping au naturel. I don't do it too often mind you, especially not when the kids are home. Don't want to traumatise them and have them running off to their shrinks later in life saying "I saw my mum's buck naked behind every morning!" So I only do it every so often, when they're at granny's place, and I just love the feeling of having nothing between me and the sheets. I'd say it's an almost unbearable lightness of being - just the air and me.

Another thing I love is riding my bike or taking a walk in summer and feeling the warmth of the sun on my skin, especially when I'm wearing a tank or sleeveless top. Feeling the sun's hot rays and the waves of warmth in the air on my flesh is yet another feeling that can be described as an almost unbearable lightness of being. I sometimes stop right in the middle of the street and just "sunbathe" - not to get a suntan, God forbid, but to enjoy the natural heat on my skin.

Having said all that, I do like cover up, especially in winter when my thighs start looking like thunder more than ever and my derriere sets new heights of rotundness. I'm then more than grateful for my slightly elasticated Levi's bootcut jeans which seem to "hold" these problems "in" somewhat. And I wouldn't consider going topless or nude on a beach or anywhere else public. Maybe if I had the body of a supermodel, the thought might cross my mind. But as I will never have that kind of body, walking round the beach in my birthday suit is out of the question for lil' ol' me. That, and the Catholic school girl in me who sometimes just refuses to go away.

'Cause sometimes it's good to cover up, imperfections in particular. The cosmetic industry would be out of business if it weren't. The best covers are, in my opinion, the ones provided by Mother Nature. The grass, flowers, plants and trees that cover the sand and soil under our feet. The seas, lakes, streams and rivers that cover the rocky and sandy beds. But snow, that's a wonderful blanket that conceals every single imperfection imaginable. Mother Nature has no imperfections mind you, but I can tell ya, Zagreb, and more specifically, Culinec, the suburb I live in, has. It's not the cleanest and tidiest suburb I've seen, far from it. So when the snow falls, I almost forget that I live in this grubby place and am bedazzled by the brilliant white cleanliness surrounding me. Even dead grass and twigs look brilliant with a tinge of white on them, and a bit of frost can uplift a bare tree or unkept rose bush to new heights.

But unfortunately, as with everything, good things don't last forever. Once the snow melts, all the imperfections are revealed and Culinec yet again turns into a muddy, mushy, slushy hole. Until then, while it's covered up, it's nice to believe that I live in a Winter Wonderland rather than Hell's Kitchen.

All photos were taken in my front yard and around Culinec, Zagreb.









p>









4 komentara:

redgrevillea kaže...

how Cute!! can I join you??? :-0 ;) ;)

nice pics, any others?? (pertaining to the blog?..;)

ross - with his horn(s) showing !

The Knitting Songbird kaže...

You're cheeky - I can see your horn(s) from over here ;).

And even though he's not the jealous type, I'm sure Ivan would object somewhat to your joining me on the first paragraph - the rest, no problemo!

And no, no more photos - this isn't that kind of blog, you naughty boy, Ross, you :)))

JuanRa Diablo kaže...

Do not mention the Hell(kitchen) before the Diablo!!
You've confessed pure delights. The winter sun warming one's face is so pleasant... Covering up when it's cold, when it's slightly raining or snowing. Swimming naked in the sea gives a special feeling too, specially when it's dawning.
But sometimes melted and stepped snow becomes grey and dirty in the cities. The vision might be worse than with no snow.
You've written a poetic post, without undercovers.

(I have a doubt. Where were you born, in Australia or in Croatia?)

The Knitting Songbird kaže...

I was actually born and raised in Australia but my parents are Croatian and I moved here in 1992 when I was 21 years old.

Yeah, cities look pretty grubby once the snow has melted - even worse than before the snow! I might take a couple of photos of "Hell's Kitchen", that is, the mushy, slushy, muddy aftermath of melted snow in Culinec...

And I've never gone skinny dipping, I have to say. It sounds enticing, but would only try it miles and miles from civilisation ;)