14. 12. 2008.

Beethoven can write music, thank God, but he can do nothing else on earth.

This is something that the great Beethoven himself said. I have to say, I beg to differ.

When my son and I were in Vienna, we paid a visit to Musikhaus or Music House (if you remember, it was on our way to Musikhaus where we encountered the castrato). Musikhaus was, after Demel, definitely my son's favourite place in Vienna. It's a magical place where you can record your own CD, play bizaare electronic instruments, listen to the sound of a window being cleaned or a clock ticking or laughter, and also get to know most of the important Austrian (or quasi-Austrian) composers up close. It was here that my son and I got better acquainted with Beethoven.

Even though I studied music, unlike most, I was never a great fan of Beethoven. Was always too "heavy" for my just-out-of-adolescence ears. As such, I was never curious to find out more about the man and his music. In the years since I've completed uni, I have grown to appreciate him more and more. And even more so after our visit to Musikhaus.

I had absolutely no idea what a passionate man he was. This was a man who was wont to end a recital if the audience bothered him, had an affair with a married woman, fell in love with a 17 year old pupil, stopped at nothing to gain custody of his nephew, to the point of blackening his mother's name and demanding that the woman pay for his education once he gained custody. It was this passion that inspired him to write what the museum described as the most beautiful love letter in the German language. When I listened to it on the audio guide, I was almost drawn to tears. The letter was found in his desk upon his death and is not officially "addressed" to anyone. It is assumed that the letter was meant for his married lover but there is not enough proof to confirm this. In any case, what a letter. And what a lucky girl! What would I give for someone to address me like this...

July 6, in the morning

My angel, my all, my very self - Only a few words today and at that with pencil (with yours) - Not till tomorrow will my lodgings be definitely determined upon - what a useless waste of time - Why this deep sorrow when necessity speaks - can our love endure except through sacrifices, through not demanding everything from one another; can you change the fact that you are not wholly mine, I not wholly thine - Oh God, look out into the beauties of nature and comfort your heart with that which must be - Love demands everything and that very justly - thus it is to me with you, and to your with me. But you forget so easily that I must live for me and for you; if we were wholly united you would feel the pain of it as little as I...Now a quick change to things internal from things external. We shall surely see each other soon; moreover, today I cannot share with you the thoughts I have had during these last few days touching my own life - If our hearts were always close together, I would have none of these. My heart is full of so many things to say to you - ah - there are moments when I feel that speech amounts to nothing at all - Cheer up - remain my true, my only treasure, my all as I am yours. The gods must send us the rest, what for us must and shall be -

Your faithful LUDWIG.


I'll leave ya with a little ditty Ludwig wrote for that pupil he fell in love with...wonder what he would have said about the remix. Probably would have chucked a fit!

4 komentara:

JuanRa Diablo kaže...

The portraits I have seen of Beethoven always show a very serious expression on his face. This must have been contributed to create a stereotype on me.
Now, reading your post, I have changed at least a little my vision of Ludwig.

The Knitting Songbird kaže...

For me, it wasn't so much the portraits as the music. I have to say that I was thoroughly shocked when I heard and read his love letters. They totally changed my vision of the man and to an even greater degree, his music.

redgrevillea kaže...

I love Beethoven. One of my true heroes. My composer.

He was a ratbag and an assshole!

The Patrick White of the classical music world!

A brilliant, captivating and compelling character.

Have you seen the film Immortal Beloved with Isabella R. & Gary Oldman?? The film seems to veer around the love letters.

The Knitting Songbird kaže...

Yeah. I read about how his nephew attempted suicide when he lived with him, and thought hmm, not a man you want to get on his bad side.

But the love letters. My Lord! Like they said - the most beautiful love letters of the German language. And truly they are.

Haven't seen the film. Will look out for it. Great actors. Great man.