07. 11. 2008.

You may say that I'm a dreamer

I was singing the kiddies to sleep tonight, like I do most nights. And yeah, I sang the same old, same old Eva Cassidy, who else? But she's the only one who's always been able to put them to sleep. And George - Gerswhin, that is. I'm surprised that they haven't started complaining as yet and suggest I change my repetoire...

I sang "Who knows where the time goes?" (like always. It's a song I have a strong vision of myself singing on a stage someday. Don't ask me why...), then "I can only be me". Then, quite spontaneously, I started singing her version of Lennon's "Imagine". Hadn't sung it in a while and I thought, man, I have to sing this song to the kiddies more often, have to get it embedded in their little angelic heads. 'Cause it's just the kind of message that I want to teach them, for them to remember and to live by.

I didn't sing it often as a kid. Guess the nuns weren't too keen on us questioning the existence of heaven and hell. But I'll never forget that at one school assembly we all sang "Give Peace a Chance". Now, don't ask me why we sang it 'cause I haven't the faintest, can't recall any conflicts during the mid-80's besides the Reagan/Gaddafi standoff. But I have to say that I still remember the words (we all got a photocopy of the lyrics), and the whole school standing out there in the Aussie sunshine, singing in one voice:

Two, one two three four
Ev'rybody's talking about
Bagism, Shagism, Dragism, Madism, Ragism, Tagism
This-ism, that-ism, is-m, is-m, is-m.

All we are saying is give peace a chance
All we are saying is give peace a chance

C'mon
Ev'rybody's talking about Ministers,
Sinisters, Banisters and canisters
Bishops and Fishops and Rabbis and Pop eyes,
And bye bye, bye byes.

All we are saying is give peace a chance
All we are saying is give peace a chance

Let me tell you now
Ev'rybody's talking about
Revolution, evolution, masturbation,
flagellation, regulation, integrations,
meditations, United Nations,
Congratulations.

All we are saying is give peace a chance
All we are saying is give peace a chance

Ev'rybody's talking about
John and Yoko, Timmy Leary, Rosemary,
Tommy Smothers, Bobby Dylan, Tommy Cooper,
Derek Taylor, Norman Mailer,
Alan Ginsberg, Hare Krishna,
Hare, Hare Krishna

All we are saying is give peace a chance
All we are saying is give peace a chance


I loved it. At the time, I thought it was the greatest song I'd ever sung. Not frumpy like the rest of the stuff we had to sing at school before. It was energetic, toe-tapping, powerful, revolutionary stuff. And of course, had words like masturbation and flagellation in it, words frowned upon by the nuns.

I've since realised that there were many better songs written out there but I think there are few that promote peace as compellingly as "Give Peace a Chance" and "Imagine".

Here's hoping that my kiddies one day live by the message in the songs...

Broj komentara: 6:

redgrevillea kaže...

Can you believe it, Synchonicity! I'm back at Carrington Road, on the blog, and behind me is a special on John Lennon's first solo album! (The song playing isn't GPaChance, but Woking Class hero)!

That Eva Cassidy album is one of the best. Who knows where the time goes... indeed. Roll on 2009...

Danny Boy is beautiful ...that whole album takes on a special, ultrasensitive hue.

Anyway, tired, have to go to sleep!!

My computer is playing up and will have to get a newy and with it, broadband, there may be an intermittent period.

...wafting, too tired, keep up the writing, it's great!

Hope you're well Mary, pip pip toot toot.

The Knitting Songbird kaže...

Yeah, I'd have to say that "Imagine" is my fave CD. All of Eva's CDs are flawless but this one has extra je ne sais quoi...

And gees guys, thanks for the compliments, just have to be careful me head doesn't get too big. You'll have to keep me in check ;)

I know I've already said it, but take it easy Ross. Get a few extra zzz's. Moving's a right pain in the you know what and can really take the mickey out of ya!

Tweet tweet tootle oo!

JuanRa Diablo kaže...

I agree. Imagine should be declared the Hymn of Earth.
But why the kids can listen to your songs and your readers can't? You won't be on stage if you are not able to sing us first...

The Knitting Songbird kaže...

I know, I know...I will post one of my songs one of these days...when I record them that is! I just don't know who besides the kiddies will want to listen to my Julie Andrews voice ;)

Unknown kaže...

Thanks for all the posts where you mention me, Aussie. Unfortunately, my moods are defined by some strange storms I cannot control. I haven't read you for some time, I have to catch up :)

The Knitting Songbird kaže...

I've missed yer blog, Davor. Can't wait for you to post something soon. Take care, mate, thinking of you!